Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Packin' it in, in PDX

As I write this I'm wondering how long I have until the movers are ready to take the kitchen table apart, leaving me with nothing to sit on or set the laptop on. Probably about 15 minutes. They've been going for about an hour and they're running out of smaller things to pack.

It's been hard to step back and appreciate all of the "lasts" over the past week, and there have been a lot. There's been a constant long list of things to do, and now that list is getting pretty short, or at least not critical. We've been able to take the time to visit with a lot of good friends but have inevitably missed a few folks we wanted to say goodbye to.

As of now we don't own a car. I don't have a cubicle. We've spent our last night at 2021 NW Irving, and we'll take a little time this afternoon or tomorrow to clean it a bit so it's not disgusting when the new owners take possession Friday. I did manage to sneak in a nice bike ride over the weekend, and now I'll be without a bike for a couple of months while it makes its way across the ocean. Lily will be without a lot of her toys and books for a while, but some of her favorites are already waiting for her in the Munich apartment.

The favorite parts of the past week have been the fun times spent with friends, at Family Friday and out on Sauvie Island. I hope that's the part that becomes the memory of our final week in Portland. I know it's the part I'll miss the most.

Hopefully we'll have some time to check in from the road over the next few days. And hopefully when we do we won't be chronicling Pepe's escape while going through airport security... But for now, Portland, we bid you adieu.

1 comment:

  1. We will miss you! Glad that you are set to go and that we got to see you last Friday. We look forward to living vicariously through your blog and hopefully we'll come out to Germany to visit sometime before you come home!

    ReplyDelete