Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Emma Hermine Elisabeth Brocks Biegansky

I have heard quite a few stories about my grandma (Oma) Emma Brocks (my Dad's mom) like when she stood in the wrong line at the German border looking for her POW husband and ended up in a prison camp for about a year while her 6 children lived on a farm during war time practically fending for themselves. My Oma had 6 children during the 1930's which actually isn't true, she had 7. My Dad's older sister had a twin brother who died at 6 months of age. My Dad didn't share this with me until after I told them I was having twins which initially completely blew me away. I can't blame him for not remembering or not thinking to tell me. He was born 6 years after the little baby boy Elmar died and it was war time. One of my Dad's earliest memories was running to a bunker during a bomb raid. I can't even imagine how his parents survived those times. Keeping lots of stories, photos, and keepsakes of the twin probably just wasn't a priority like staying alive was.


I am having a boy and girl as well just like my Oma. I never got to have a relationship with her. I lived far away and she died when I was still young. On one hand, I really wish she was here to share this twins experience with her but on the other hand, I already feel so much closer to her just knowing I am the one who will keep the twins tradition alive in the Biegansky family, hopefully with more success this time thanks to the time we live in. I find it so odd that of all the grandkids, I'm the only one pregnant with twins. My Dad has passed on a lot more than interesting stories to me, also the twins gene. With all the fear I have about not only having twins but being a mom to 3 kids, I do find comfort when I think about how special it is that I share something quite rare with my grandma.


Here is a picture of my grandma and the whole family. My dad is on the far right and you can guess who my grandma is.





4 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo of your grandparents and their many children. Amazing! I have been meaning to write and say congratulations. I admire how you and Nate are facing this challenge with such strength and grace.

    My grandma also had twins (my dad and his identical brother). It was during WWII, her husband was on a military ship somewhere, and she also has a toddler to care for. It's amazing how that generation coped! Of course, back then, the mamas often didn't know they were expecting twins. That was the case with my grandma -- one came out, and then the doctor said "Surprise! There's another one!"

    So you're having a boy and a girl. Awesome. What a wonderful bond they will have growing up!

    And thanks for all of the words of wisdom on our Greenhunt blog. I was bouncing on my exercise ball just before I read your post, thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is an amazing and fascinating story! I had heard that the fraternal twin gene can run on the mom's side, and you are another example of that. You are meant to have these two babies, just like you had Lily, and I bet you will find that your Grandma's influence will probably show up in other unexpected ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! What a sweet thing to share with your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late comment - I've been away from blog reading for a while - but this is a great post. So special to hear these stories that you didn't even know about. And congratulations on the boy and girl! That is pretty exciting - Wow!

    ReplyDelete