Sunday, August 28, 2011

Things are Different this Time Around

I never thought I'd be saying things like "the babies are playing footsie in my belly" or "I can't do the dishes tonight because my hoo-ha hurts" or even "our family might actually be too big to fit in a normal size car." I'm 25 weeks pregnant and feeling probably the best I will for a long time. I'm now busying myself reading books and making lists. So a plus, I'm learning a lot and starting to actually prepare for the craziness. On the other side, those nerves are acting up. I am actually most nervous about keeping these babies in my belly as long as possible based purely on my gut or the fact that I feel so much pressue on my gut and everything else around there. I'm a bit bummed how much extra work there is for us to figure things out because we're in Germany such as what does insurance cover, where to best buy diapers in bulk (read that twins use over 5000 diapers in their first year!), finding a twins support network in town, gosh, just getting random things done in a convenient way that we took for granted in the States.

My identity is soley tied to pregnancy and Lily right now. I really miss playing tennis, taking my urban hikes, being active and my Lompoc girls nights. When will I be able to reclaim myself again? I did experience a sliver of my old self today probably making a silly decision riding my bike on a perfect summer afternoon around Munich. I had to do it. I felt like the old Nicole for a moment. I wish I could exercise as much as I did when I was pregnant with Lily, but the doctors and books really stress taking it easy since twin pregancies are much higher risk.

Here are recent pregnancy pics comparing myself at 24 weeks pregnant now and with Lily. I'm about 6 weeks ahead in terms of size this time around.









2 comments:

  1. You still look smaller than me at 25 weeks! As for your first time around, you and Annie take the cake on not really looking pregnant until the 8th month. :-) Well, she hasn't gotten there yet, but if current conditions are anything to go by...! Seriously, though, you look great - I hear you on wishing you could reclaim your body, and not exercising as much this time around. I swam a ton with Lucia, a lot with Magdalena, but haven't even bought a maternity swimsuit this time, only walking. One of these ... years?... we'll get our bodies back. good luck with finding all the support/info in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicole, your bump looks so perfect, i love it. i'm feeling that way lately - that people are starting to identify me only through the pregnancy. can't help but want to hold on to the other things going on, while it lasts. though i know i can't complain too much since it's just me, and no one else to worry about. you mommas make it look so easy and wonderful. and andrea, you should see me now :) it certaily is funny feeling not quite recognizing your body, and bumping into things.

    ReplyDelete