Monday, December 23, 2013

Auf Wiedersehen Munich


Dear Munich,

It was love at first sight when we first crossed paths years ago.  You are still so beautiful to me even after all we've been through these last 3+ years.  Your beauty still takes my breath away and I don't see that ever changing.  We had quite the romantic start to our relationship traveling from place to place and checking literally everything off your to do list.  You spoiled my then 1.5 year old daughter Lily royally with your kid friendly tourist attractions, playgrounds, and so much yummy food for my meat loving, bakery yearning little girl.   When you surprised me by asking me to officially move in with you with no end date, things got serious fast.  And that's when the romance started to fade and the reality of day to day life began…. full of surprises, changes, and work.  


We sure had a rough start.  Felt rougher than it was because my expectations were so high.  I had dreams of living with you since before you even knew I really existed.  I had grand plans and lofty goals like tagging along on most of Nate's business trips with Lily around Europe and speaking such good German that people wouldn't be even able to guess I was American.  Sure was fun to think about.  Instead, exactly 8 weeks after we moved in, I found out I was pregnant with twins.  My life as I saw it changed in an instant.  You were horrible at helping me through my mostly miserable pregnancy.  I had never been so lonely and nervous and afraid and sad and lethargic in my life.  You were not very helpful in getting us settled in Munich and making friends.  Sure, I wasn't really pulling my weight that first year;  It sure was a lot harder to adjust and make friends than I can remember.  


Despite the rough start, things really did get so much better and that's what makes this goodbye so bittersweet.  We did take some memorable family trips together from Slovenia to France to Austria to Italy. You gave me a Munich home I will miss - perfect layout and size for us right by the Angel of Peace statue in the English Garden found through a random post on Facebook.   We worked so hard to get where we are now.  I am so proud of the groove we found this past year, the friends we made, the amazing help we found to help with our kids, the relationships we built, all the time I got to spend with my parents, and living our day to day life raising 3 kids in the middle of the city just fine.  It feels like we're leaving right when things got really good between us again, like I'm not getting a chance to savor it.  I love raising my kids in Munich - this amazingly safe, kid friendly, and clean city.  Having so many playgrounds nearby and a great Kindergarten for Lily to thrive at is something that I have appreciated so much here.  We didn't get back to the romantic rendezvous from our first stint together but we did build something wonderfully rich and deep with love.  You gave me Paul and Elise and my bilingual 4 year old Lily, and a much more humbled and grateful me.


I am careful about saying too much in this blog because I am fragile and emotional. I jump from resentment to sadness to excitement back to anger quite quickly.  Time will help me sort through my emotions and how I'll pass my Munich learnings to my kids.   I do want them to know that dreams do come true, just not the way you always envision it.  It always works out for the best and it may take sometime before you really understand why (I'm not there yet).  Chin up, be positive, be grateful, and keep on moving.


It seems fitting that my last week in Germany is at my parents' house.  Being near them was a big force behind moving here. I ended up having to ask for a lot more help than I thought I would being here but through all the help and time we spent getting through so many hard times, it really feels like Oma and Opa are getting some amazing payback this Christmas visit - already lots of loving moments with their grandkids.

Ok you good lookin', beer loving, walkable, bike loving, safe city Munchenshire - I'm going to miss you.  Pfirrti

love Nicole























5 comments:

  1. Oh man, Munich sounds like a great city to have a love affair with...sorry you have to leave just when the going was getting good. It's so awesome that you all got a chance to live abroad and for the kids to be exposed to your beloved language & culture. It will influence their lives for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your post / pics and blog.
    "...great Kindergarten for Lily to thrive at is something that I have appreciated so much here. We didn't get back to the romantic rendezvous from our first stint together but we did build something wonderfully rich and deep with love. You gave me Paul and Elise and my bilingual 4 year old Lily, and a much more humbled and grateful me.
    I am careful about saying too much in this blog because I am fragile and emotional. I jump from resentment to sadness to excitement back to anger quite quickly...."

    now you really got me!
    feel so much the same: fragile (been crying a lot), emotional (as I am almost always), angry, sad, ....but at the same time grateful for the time we shared, for your humour, our laughter, the bummers and crap we had to survive from time to time, the short chats at drop-off adn pick-up - soo encouraging and happy makers ... amazing moms we are....love you, your family....can´t say how much I´m gonna miss you spit-sis!

    hugs, marya alias verena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nicole,
    it's been a couple of months since I didn't blog in your website and I was surprised to find out suddenly that you come from america and that you moved back to your country! I am glad for learning that Elise has recovered so well and that all your children are also happy and cheerful! I hope that you have settled down to your new home by now and happy birthday for your birthday as well ( I also have my birthday today). I hope that everything will be so perfect at your new home that you will easily "forget" munich...
    I would also like to ask you a favor although I know that it is a difficult period for you in order to adjust to your new life,when you will have time please send me an email with info about Elise's doctor because my daughter still has got issues with her foot and I have to see what we are going to do... Good luck to you all and I hope that we will continue to hear from you from your website!
    Love, Christina (from greece, email: christinaki2612@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn Nicole. You brought me to tears. As much as I've missed you - I'm so glad you got the opportunity to fulfill one of your dreams. Waiting here with open arms for you and your brood! 1/2 pint

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to always say, 'i wish i lived abroad once before settling down." now you and nate make it seem possible--hey, even kid-friendly--and i only hope i would have the same boldness as you two should the opportunity ever arrive. welcome to portland--hope your first day is making you fall in love with the NW again.

    ReplyDelete