Monday, November 27, 2017

Part 3: Munich

It's already been 6 weeks since our 1 month trip to Italy and Germany.  We knew we'd return to reality adjusting our sails quickly to focus on Elise's foot surgery in Boston in early November.  It's nice to stop and write about a sliver in time that was so special not that long ago.

The most sentimental part of our Sabbatical was spending our final 3 weeks in Munich.  We lived like locals in our old neighborhood…felt like we didn't miss a beat except this time I didn't have a stroller or big diaper bag with me. My love affair with Munich remains strong; it's beauty still takes my breath away. Just running through the English Garden got me verklempt and I really don't enjoy running that much.  Nate and I are not on the same page when it comes to Munich.  I LOVE it.  He likes it. Good thing we both love Portland.

We had a great daily recipe for happiness: 1. Act like a tourist 2. Stop at a playground 3. Spend quality time with friends 4. Eat & drink with a bit more "whatever we want" feel to it. Even with the days of our kids acting o so horrible, overall, it really was all good and I really enjoyed traveling with them.  Wow, I don't think I would have said that even 3 years ago. 


This picture of my Dad collectively sums up the feeling everyone had celebrating my sister's 50th at Oktoberfest.
Birthday Girl with our cousin Steffi and husband Andi.  

 Being back at our favorite kid friendly Beer Garden at Wiener Platz in Haidhausen
 The kids are standing directly under the windows of our old flat.  Nate probably gets annoyed by just how often I say how much I loved this apartment.
 Standing outside the hospital where the twins were born.  I do not miss trying to breastfeed twins while the extended families of the other 2 women sharing a room with me visited.
 Angel of Peace is one of our family's favorite places

 Nate took Lily to Rome for a few days getaway.


Elise had a bad day.  Enjoyed a day trip to Salzburg.  About an hour away by train.
Lily and Johanna with Elise now old enough to join in.

The first playground we went to in Munich when Lily was 1.5.  Here she's hanging with her Kindergarten friend Maria.

Lily and her other bestie Johanna.  Lily's first sleepover was with Johanna at age 4.

Lily's best bud Jonah.  They met at age 2.    Lily went to Jonah's school with him for a day.

Legoland with Tenley 
Elise, Lily, Sunday, and Melina
 Paul and Emmitt

Swinging and hiking in Lenggries.  Munich does it right with the fast regional train system to get you to places like this comfortably, affordable, and fast.


1 comment:

  1. Would love to keep in touch with you. My child is 5 and has Macrodactyly of his foot big toe and one next to it and other bones in the foot. We have had no surgery thus far and he is about a size and a half bigger in affected foot. i guess 10 is the year that surgeons are shooting for unless it becomes more of a problem. I am going to read through a bit to get more information on your little girl. crislove1@aol.com -Christy Meyer

    ReplyDelete