Monday, February 19, 2024

2024 - Go Blue, Vegas Baby, The Comfy

 2024 started out with a big teary eyed smile seeing Michigan win the National Championship again after 30 years of close seasons and plenty of disappointments.  My brother would have loved to have seen it happen; he was emotionally vested and so passionate about his opinions of the team.  Go Blue! 




A devastating storm hit Portland in January that shut most of the city down for a week..  The ice and wind wreaked havoc across the city with so many downed trees, loss of power, and damage to homes.  We were very lucky keeping power. Nate and Lily made it out before it all went down to Lily's volleyball tournament in Houston.  We had tickets to a Blazers game at the start of the storm when the Phoenix Suns were already in town and chose to keep the game on even though conditions were only getting worse.   I was proud of Paul and Elise for braving the conditions to make the long walk to the arena for a little adventure. 

Paul and Elise making churros together during the storm.


Nate and I took a 48 hour getaway to Vegas to see U2 at the Sphere.  A U2 concert was our first date on tax day 2001.  It was the first time the two of us have flown anywhere together alone since having kids.  It was exactly what we hoped it would be, not only the concert, but simply traveling and exploring again - just the two of us, like we once did a lot more of back in the day.  Here is Nate drinking a margarita while watching the gondolas go by indoors at the Venetian.


I fell in love with Meow Wolf years ago on a trip with my sister to Sante Fe.  I'm so glad Nate was game to give the only other location of Meow Wolf a go in Vegas.  Its such a fun interactive art experience that is so wonderfully silly and creative.  Big recommend.


We are super proud of Elise for passing her Karate belt test.  We were all able to go and see her earn her purple belt.  She is such a strong force out there and we are super impressed with what she has learned.  Don't pick a fight with her.


Another rare outing we got to do was take Paul out on a date, just the 3 of us.  We took him out to eat at an upscale Mediterranean restaurant, checked out a packed Portland Night Market, and enjoyed the Portland Lights Festival on the way home.  We were loving every moment of our date with him.  He can be so fun.



Snapped a pic of my Valentines before they headed off to school.  Please note Elise wearing something other than sweatpants and a sweatshirt.  Woohoo.


Our Valentine's Day celebration of king crab legs continues.  Opa knows where to get the best deal in town.  They spoiled us this year even making mashed potatoes with bacon.  Such a fantastic meal.  Thanks for joining Oma and Opa.


Paul is not our big reader so I had to document him immersed in "The Martian." He has finally experienced getting sucked into a novel and the feeling of not wanting to put it down.


Moxie gets around.  Plenty of cozy cuddles and kids in their "Comfy" hoodies in 2024.  The Comfy has been a staple fashion choice by all the kids for the last few months around the house.

President's Day weekend has us all in different places.  Elise and I are home busy with Girl Scout cookie season and group fun.  Paul and Nate are in Black Butte with friends skiing and hot tubbing.  Lily is living it up in Vegas doing what she loves on the volleyball court and getting to check out a new city with volleyball friends.  

                                    




My sister and I are taking our parents to the Indian Wells tennis tournament.  Going to a tennis tournament has been on my mom's bucket list for a long time; it's about time. My Dad went to Wimbledon long ago. It'll be fun.  Eric definitely played a hand in making this trip finally happen. Thanks Eric.   I am a HUGE Sinner fan.  My favorite Christmas gift was a T-shirt of Sinner.  He won the Australian Open which also brought me a teary smile.  I hope I get to see him. Watch out small children; I'll elbow you out of the way for a picture or an autograph.  Maybe I should bring my rackets in case he'd like to hit :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment