Monday, April 6, 2009

Alotta Crepes Before Alotta Craps

Apparently, I believe the first thing I need to pack in my diaper bag before hitting the grocery store for a quick run is a breast pump and I'd rather pack a change of clothes for myself instead of for the baby. Hmmm. Yesterday was my baby shower (is it Stetsi's baby shower or my baby shower?) and instead of games, I was tested on how to pack a diaper bag in various scenarios in very little time, putting on a Bjorn without harming baby, and naming various baby items. One of the items I couldn't remember, embarrassingly enough, is the cloth diaper. I thought it was a burp cloth which it kinda is, just for a different end. I laughed at myself so wonderfully much yesterday and I just hope I do the same once Stetsi arrives; I just do not want to take myself too seriously, where's the fun in that?

My girlfriends spoiled me yesterday and I loved every minute of it. Special thanks to Abby for hosting such a fun party and thanks to Kim, Hannah, and Katie for helping be the masterminds and chefs behind the festivities. I have random reflections about yesterday so I'll just list some of them:
  • Wearing a "mother to be" tiara outside in the sun is the first time in my entire pregnancy where I felt like I might have a hint of "the glow" (so what if it's the sun reflecting off the tiara).

  • Seeing all my Portland girls together enjoying the sunny afternoon and making me feel so damn loved

  • Enjoying some tasty crepes before I see a lot of Stetsi's craps

  • Learning that the best time to drink alcohol after the baby is born is actually while breastfeeding.

  • There actually exists this liquid to feed babies to help them fart to hopefully stop crying. This is something I definitely do not need to drink right now, who am I kidding, ever.

  • Witnessing the girl's creativity and thoughtfulness with the onesies they made and the gifts they spoiled Stetsi with.

  • Getting to wear a "boob" dress, being able to fill it out for a change and proud to say, no leakage.
  • Simply hanging out with the girls.

Not having family nearby is tough to take at times and know it'll test us even more once Stetsi arrives. Yesterday reminded me in such a big way what a great Portland family of girlfriends I have for support. I trust them; they push me to examine and encourage me to grow.

When those dark moments hit me where I can't find the strength to believe in myself, I know I have friends nearby that'll believe in me and help me find myself again.

I posted a baby shower photo album on picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment