Saturday, April 18, 2009

Light Switch, Hiccups, and Placenta

I've mentioned in an older post how much of a roller coaster ride being pregnant is, both physically and mentally. I can now say that the roller coaster I have been riding is one that I would choose to ride at an amusement park, smooth ride, light scares, arms in the air, smiling much of the way (except for weeks 9-12). I've now entered the section of roller coasters I would usually avoid riding because I just don't see the fun in it. I remember standing in line at Cedar Point back in middle school for the Magnum ride and seeing all these warning signs as we crept closer, "don't ride if you have back pain" for example. The sign I see now is "don't ride if you are a wuss...o wait, too late, can't turn back now, ha ha ha."

In the last week (week 36), pregnancy has turned from "this ain't so bad" to "this ain't so fun" almost like a light switch effect. Turning over in bed, sitting in my desk chair (aka back & butt torture device) actually feels like more strenuous activity than doing a lunge in my weight lifting class. Stomach cramps, side cramps, being short of breath, and tingly legs are much more common now. Stetsi is moving more now than she ever has which yes, I know is great, but playing the harp with my ribs can get old. I went from not thinking I've had a Braxton Hicks contraction to feeling them regularly this past week. They don't hurt but neither does going to get your teeth cleaned. I've also noticed Stetsi having more hiccups lately. It really does feel like my vagina has the hiccups which feels like my vagina is popping popcorn.

We had our 3rd Birthing Class this past week. We watched the vaginal and c-section delivery videos and the videos were far from graphic, fine by us. There was only a 2 second shot of "the nether region" and it was harmless. We learned about the active phase which is really the end of labor through delivery. I'm so used to having time goals in my life. It'll be tough for me to not know "ok, just 5 more hours and I'll meet her." I also have no idea how I'll treat Nate. I could see myself saying "get me a cold wash cloth" and then saying "what took you so long and it's not cold enough!" I hope he experiences short term memory loss which shouldn't be a problem with the short term hearing loss I've witnessed. He does do a great job making me giggle, especially during the birthing classes. The instructor asked the Dads in the room who would be interested in checking out the placenta after it's delivered to see and get a grasp of just how cool of an organ it is that raised your baby for 9 months. Nate just looked at me and said "what am I going to do? paint a picture of it? I've got a baby to hold."

1 comment:

  1. Both Sasha and this child had the hiccups during the pregnancy, after Sasha was born, she would hiccup whenever she was tired. I do like your description of it, very accurate! Hang in there you are almost done :)

    ReplyDelete