Thursday, January 29, 2009

Questions


As you might gather from the look on my face, a few things are perplexing me.

Day care – even though we have no idea if we’ll be needing day care, we hear that these places have a waitlist and that we need to reserve a spot whether we know we’ll need it or not. It seems comical to me that we need to figure out all of the things we need to consider when selecting which daycare we’d use when we don’t even know if we’ll use one! I’m all for doing work and making decisions when they need to be made, not doing work in case a decision is needed… yes, it’s confusing, just like daycare considerations are.

Stuff – I pulled a list off of babycenter.com (http://www.babycenter.com/babyCostCalculator.htm?intcmp=Nav_Global_calandcalc_babycostfind&pn=Tools%20Hub) which is has everything you might want to buy in the first year of your baby’s life… but what the heck is a “play yard” and “bottle brush”? By default I’m saying if I don’t know what it is we don’t need it. But are we crazy for thinking we’ll use a bed side co-sleeper (definitely had to look up what that is) for a few months and not buying a crib in advance?

Doing Stuff – Are we crazy for thinking that we’ll still be able to work out and swim and run and bike after Stetsi arrives? I’m thinking one of us can just go for a swim and workout while the other is daddying or mommying. But everyone says they don’t have time for anything after the baby arrives… what gives?

Nursery – Our place is not large. We expect to have a couple of visitors stay with us right after Stetsi is born. The only place they can really stay is in the 2nd bedroom... the only place a nursery could be is in the 2nd bedroom… is it crazy to not really have a nursery for a few months? I mean yes, we'll have a changing table and... not sure what else. I guess we could just knock down the walls and have one big happy communal living thing going on, but I don’t see that happening.

Relationships – Stetsi will be our daughter, we’ll be her parents. We say our cats are our kids, and we call ourselves their parents. Does that mean Pepe will be Stetsi’s brother and Gigi will be her sister? They all have the same parents… hmm.

4 comments:

  1. Heh, your picture is pretty hilarious. Unfortunately, I can't help much with your questions (being babyless myself), other than the cat relationship. I'd say yeah, the cats are Stetsi's siblings, but I wouldn't go so far as to put the cats in your will a la Leona Helmsley and her dog (boy, I'll be embarrassed if your cats are already in your will :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cats aren't in the will... yet. Making a will is on the list of things to do in the next month or two. I think I'll leave all of the ribbon to Pepe... he'll puke it up but he doesn't seem to care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious, Nate! I love your philosophy of "Don't know? Don't need." You'll probably acquire a bunch of stuff from other folks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this will make you feel a bit better...one of Anne's friends is having TRIPLETS! No fertility drugs involved either. Not to mention they already have two cats as well. Luckily her parents live down the street from them.

    ReplyDelete