Monday, March 9, 2009

Mortality and Comedy

At last week's girls night, we talked a little bit about the first time we remember our lives being finite, grasping the concept of what being an individual means, and getting a glimpse into just how short life is. A few days later, I stumbled across this short reading on the 100 years perspective and how it might help you stay mentally healthy in your everyday life but not getting all worked up about the little stuff. When you're in the middle of a dilemma, think about how a 100 years from now, who will care or even remember?
The timing ended up being quite ironic because Nate and I met with an attorney for the first time to set up our will and power of attorney. Earning my own paycheck, moving to a new city all alone, getting married, getting pregnant have all been big moments to help me feel grown up. Visiting this attorney to set up a will brought it to a whole new level, at least for me. Stopping to think about who would be Stetsi's legal guardian if something were to happen to us and what directions I'd like to leave my husband if I'm sick in the hospital unable to make the decision myself is very sobering (and I'm sober enough already right now).
The appointment went in and out of reality for me. What I mean is there were moments where it hit me really hard thinking about dying and thinkging of the chance Stetsi could be without her parents or being a vegetable in the hospital but then the moment would vanish and be replaced with what felt like solving a problem on a piece of paper - if you have scenario A, which option would you choose.
I'm determined to make this week a bit lighter and sillier; I started the week off by booking our babymoon weekend to Seattle at the end of the month and laughing at the Jon Bovi skit on hulu's SNL.

No comments:

Post a Comment