Sunday, February 15, 2009

Target - Welcome to the Jungle

We did something today that neither of us have ever done before. We went to the kids section of Target without a printed gift registry in hand. Our goal was to walk up and down the 7 aisles of baby stuff and become better acquainted with what we need to embrace as our new world. Keep in mind, this venture did not include the toy section. I am still so grateful for online shopping because I no longer have to visit the "enter at your own risk" toy section, what I used to call the "birth control section."

We spent ~20 minutes walking around at a pace equal to what you'd probably do at a museum. I wouldn't have minded an audio guide set to help me understand what I'm looking at better, "if you look directly to your right, you'll find convertible car seats, no they're not meant for convertible cars but rather xyz." A few things we noticed on our target tour:

- A whole wall is dedicated to bottle tops. I had no idea there were so many different sizes. I guess I'll try to find the size that matches my own nipple the closest. :)
- There is such a thing as a "rain forest bathing experience. " Just give me a darn tub, I'll even do pink.
- Instead of seeing the hands free headset I am accustomed to, I saw a hands free breast pump. Now, I'll be able to drive, talk on the phone, and pump all at the same time. Now that's what I call multi-tasking
- I was really happy to see slings available at a more affordable price, <$40. I couldn't find one in a solid color, yet, but we have made progress.
-Nate also showed me the type of Baby Bjorn he'd be ok with wearing.
- I now know what an umbrella stroller is and know the difference between a bouncy seat and infant seat swing.
- We don't need a changing table as much as we need a changing pad for the first few months.
- A rocking chair would probably be a good investment.

All in all, we did well. There were only 3 crying babies and we only gave each other the "freaked out/annoyed" face once. We're making progress. Keep the advice coming, please. We have so much to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Baby's Are Us provides the same experience, except that when a grandparent goes in looking very perplexed the staff of women (and customers) take some pity by explaining and giving advice!

    The wall of bottle nipples I stayed away from - some things are just not discussed with women.

    Umbrella strollers come with a warranty to give baby a bad back - except they are unable to tell you. Like almost every piece of baby equipment, they come with a safety harness.

    Changing pad (definition) - The pad you use while hoping that Dearest will not grace you with another present while you air dry them and before you get on the next diaper. One can mitigate the situation by quickly covering them with a burp cloth or cloth diaper while you neatly fold up the present. This is not as much of a problem with girls. The sides on a changing table are there when they get older so it takes longer for them to roll off if you forgot to belt them. The sides serve another purpose which can be left to the new parents to figure out. Changing is a time of fun - really. You get to see their focal point increasing. And blowing on stomachs and feet can evoke laughter. It is a social time.

    Rain forest? In the first months, you can skip the tub and use a big sponge on the kitchen counter. It saves on your back and knees.

    Rocking chairs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. consider a rocker/recline chair instead of the traditional rocking chair, more versatile and you can use it in other rooms when no longer needed. We found ours at Value City Furniture for i think about $400 or so. Choose an umbrella stroller with a solid back and not just cloth since both of you are tall push them first to make sure you are not kicking the wheels with your feet.

    ReplyDelete